A Message from Principal Parker
Hello, Parents, Students, Staff, and Community Partners!
I'm very excited to be starting my 4th year as GCMS principal! This is my 26th year at GCMS, and I am very proud of the dedication of our staff and students in building the future of Grayson County through our pursuit of a common vision and mission. Each day, I continue to be impressed with the efforts of our wonderful staff for each and every GCMS student. And, students, your diligence in studies and caring for others truly makes GCMS a sensational place for learning and growing together.
I am a native of Logan County, and a graduate of Kentucky Wesleyan College, the University of Illinois, and Western Kentucky University. My wife, Tonya Parker, is a teacher at Wilkey Elementary, and we have 3 sons: Jackson, a junior at WKU; Mason, a senior at GCHS, and Davis, a freshman at GCHS. Most of my education career has been in the band world, with 2 years at Metcalfe Co, and 22 years here in Grayson County. For all the band students who have come through our program here, thank you for your amazing efforts and for helping shape the person I am today.
At GCMS, we are continuing to focus on embracing our shared values, vision, and mission.This year, our theme is "Opportunity over Obstacles." With the upheaval of our world in this pandemic, it's important for our students to have the mindset and attitude that enables them to turn obstacles into opportunities for growth.
Here are some other goals we have developed for 2019-20:
- Overall goal - Emphasize staff truly knowing each individual student—not letting anyone slip through the cracks.
- Instructional Focus –Gap Reduction –Ensuring that every single student learns at a high level, and that we close any gaps due to our current pandemic.
- Continue improving the culture at GCMS, helping our school become a place where learning is rich and exciting, and relationship building is the foundation.
- Move our KPREP scores into the top 25% of all KY schools.
- Ensure that our students are ready for the next level of learning.
- Improve consistency in discipline.
- Help our building be safer, cleaner, and better maintained.
- Build important partnerships with parents and community members.
- Emphasize our vision in all decision-making—never losing sight of the "main thing"
Please feel free to let us know what you think about our progress here! We are always ready and willing to listen to all of our stakeholders. Let’s work together to make Grayson County Middle School a true model of excellence in our area, state, and nation!
Gary Parker, Principal