Teaching Careers with Grayson County Schools

Ready for a change? Re-entering the workforce? Veteran?

Have you thought about a teaching career, but don't see how to pursue that passion without an education degree?

There are any number of options currently available to help you get to the head of the classroom quickly, and additional options are also in the works.

If you have the will, there's very likely a way to enter the teaching profession and make a real difference to lives and futures. Check out these options, and call Todd Johnston, Director of Districtwide Programs, 270-259-4011, when you're ready to learn more.

Exceptional Work Experience

  • Extensive development of materials because documentation is extensive and the review process is rigorous.
  • Bachelor’s Degree with at least a 2.75 overall GPA.
  • Either a major is the content area for certification or passing the Praxis II in that area.
  • 3-5 recommendations from employers directly associated with your years of exceptional work experience.
  • An offer of employment in a school district

College Faculty for Teaching Grades 8-12

  • Must have a master’s degree in the academic subject for which certification is sought.
  • 5 years of full time teaching experience or its equivalent at an accredited institution of higher education in the academic subject for which certification is sought and:
  • Have an offer of employment from a school district.

Adjunct Instructor for Teaching Grades P-12

  • An offer of employment.
  • Elementary certification must have a bachelor’s degree with a 2.75 GPA
  • Middle or secondary certification must have an overall GPA of 2.75 and a 2.75 in the major/minor or area of concentration in the subject to be taught.
  • For CTE must have a HS diploma and at least 4 years of appropriate occupational experience.
  • This route does not lead to full certification. This is part time employment or on a contractual basis, not eligible for continuing service status or retirement provisions.

Veterans of the Armed Forces

  • Discharged or released from active duty under honorable conditions after six years of active duty immediately before the discharge or release.
  • Have a bachelor’s degree in the subject matter or related area for which certification is sought.
  • Have a 2.75 GPA or hold an advanced degree and have passing scores on EPSB-approved subject matter assessments.
  • Offer of employment in a school district.

Option 6 or University-Based Alternative Route for Teaching Grades P-12

  • Enroll in an approved Option 6 program. Must meet all admission, testing and GPA requirements. Receive an acceptance letter from the institution verifying enrollment and hiring eligibility
  • Receive a job offer from a school district.
  • Complete and submit paperwork for Temporary Provisional teaching certificate.
  • Complete the program in 3 years.

Teach for America (TFA) (Must be in a low income area in Kentucky)

  • Bachelor’s degree
  • Offer of employment
  • Meet all participation criteria for TFA program
  • Successfully completes all training requirements of the TFA program
  • Pass all content assessments required by EPSB in the areas of certification being sought.

Proficiency Evaluation (New Program)

  • Bachelor’s Degree
  • Offer of employment
  • Proficiency evaluations means the process by which an EPP may evaluate an educator to recognize competency and proficiency meeting the curriculum requirements equivalent to those of the EPP approved program for which an educator is seeking certification.

Local District Training Program for Teaching grades P-12 (Option 2)

  • Currently under revision

Institute Alternative Route (Option 7)

  • Currently under revision

You can also find additional certification information on the Education Professional Standards Board website.