PRESCHOOL STARTING DATES (NEW PROCESS)
Preschool for the upcoming 2023-24 school year will begin on Wednesday, August 9, for half of our rostered students and Thursday, August 10 for the other half. We believe this will provide an easier transition for these first-time students and also give their teachers a better opportunity to get to know them individually as they begin the school year. It will be at each teacher's discretion as to how they divide up their rosters for which days.
Teachers will set their rosters after July 12 and partner with our transportation department to make sure everyone is picked up on their assigned day. Teachers will let parents know which day their child will attend for that first week. All preschool students will attend Monday – Thursday following the first week.
Dates are being set by each elementary school for kindergarten registration. Check back as we will post updates as soon as schedules are confirmed.
Caneyville - April 19 and 20, 9 am – 5 pm
Clarkson - April 18 and 20. Times TBD
Lawler - April 19 and 20. Times TBD
SCHOOLS AND COUNSELORS
Our schools and counselors are always happy to help. Feel free to contact them with any questions you may have. You can also call the Board office at 270-259-4011.
Caneyville Elementary, 270-879-4211
Clarkson Elementary, 270-242-3061
Lawler Elementary, 270-259-9322
Wilkey Elementary, 270-259-4058
Grayson County Middle School, 270-259-4175
Sahale Christian, Aggie Manion
Grayson County High School, 270-259-4078
Shannon Johnston, Diane Harned, Belinda Harlow
KINDERGARTEN EARLY ENROLLMENT
Kindergarten students must be 5 years of age on or before August 1 of the given school year. If your child will not be five by August 1, but you’d like to enroll them in kindergarten early, please complete this Early Entrance Packet and return it to:
Carla Purcell, Grayson County Schools, PO Box 4009, Leitchfield, KY 42755
Or, you may also drop it by the Board of Education office at 790 Shaw Station Road in Leitchfield.
GUIDE TO STUDENT ENROLLMENT
EARLY CHILDHOOD PRESCHOOL PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS:
If a child qualifies, the following items will be needed:
1. Proof of age – A copy of your child’s birth certificate
2. Current Kentucky immunization certificate is due within (2) two weeks of your child’s first day of enrollment.
3. Physical Exam form (well-child visit) dated within 1 year prior to your child’s first day of enrollment and meeting the requirements of the Preventive Health Care Exam Form.4. Vision Exam by an optometrist or ophthalmologist no later than January 1 of the current school year Social Security numbers are not collected at this age (Optional) but are required before entering high school for Kentucky Educational Excellence Scholarship (KEES) funding.
1. Proof of age – Upon enrollment for the first time in any elementary or secondary school, a student or student’s parent shall provide a copy of the student’s birth certificate.
2. A current Kentucky immunization certification form shall be on file within (2) two weeks of a student’s enrollment in school.
3. The preventive health care exam dated within 1 year prior to initial admission to school and shall be reported on the Preventive Student Health Care Form, KDESHS002, or an electronic medical record that includes all of the data equivalent to that on the Preventive Student Health Care Form.
4. Social Security Number is required before entering high school for KEES funding.
5. KRS 156.160 states all children entering at 3, 4, 5, or 6 years of age public preschool and Head Start or public school for the first time to have an eye examination by an optometrist or ophthalmologist no later than January 1 of the school year.
6. Must be 5 years of age on or before August 1 of the given school year.
7. KRS 156.160(i) requires a Dental Exam/Screening when a student enters kindergarten. The Dental Exam/Screening must be between January 1st and December 31st of the year the student enrolls in kindergarten.
SIXTH GRADE ENROLLMENT REQUIREMENTS:
1. Must have a second preventive health care exam within one year prior to entering 6th grade (first exam was given upon initial admission to Kentucky schools) or within 30 days of enrollment.
2. A Kentucky Immunization Certificate is required within two weeks of enrollment showing all age-appropriate vaccines. This includes Tetanus/diphtheria/acellular pertussis (Tdap), meningococcal vaccine, the 2nd dose of varicella vaccine or physician proof of past varicella disease.
Amendments to the state law regarding immunization schedules (902 KAR 2:060) required for attending school took effect in the 2018-19 school year. There is a timing requirement for the vaccination schedule, so families should plan on an early start in order to be prepared for the upcoming school year.
All students in kindergarten through twelfth grade must show proof of having received two doses of Hepatitis A vaccine to attend school (doses are administered 6 months or more apart), and
Students 16 or older must show proof of having received two doses of Meningococcal ACWY vaccine (MenACWY) to attend school. However, if the first dose of MenACWY was received at age sixteen or older, the second dose is not required for school entry.
Parents and caregivers are encouraged to see their child’s medical provider or local health department as soon as possible regarding immunizations. Updated and current immunization certificates are to be submitted to the school before the start of the new school year.
All students enrolling in any school will need copies of the student's birth certificate, up-to-date immunizations and physical.
Parents can now access their child’s immunization records online at this link.
Preschool Income Eligibility Form
Kindergarten Early Entrance Packet
Helping Your Child Become Kindergarten Ready
Applying for a Birth Certificate