Have questions about teaching in Grayson County Schools? Email Asst. Supt. Adam Cox, or give him a call at 270-259-4011.

You can also find additional certification information on the Education Professional Standards Board website.


Looking to start a career in teaching? Want to explore the opportunities ... make new friends ... enjoy a flexible work schedule ... grow your skills and your network? Consider a substitute teaching opportunity with GCS. Only 64 college credit hours needed to start. Make a difference in students’ lives ... and your own! 

Questions? Contact Kim Horsley, 270.259-4011.


Ready for a change? Re-entering the workforce? Veteran?

Have you thought about a teaching career, but don't see how to pursue that passion without an education degree?

There are any number of options currently available to help you get to the head of the classroom quickly, and additional options are also in the works.

If you have the will, there's very likely a way to enter the teaching profession and make a real difference to lives and futures. Check out these options, and call Assistant Superintendent Adam Cox, 270-259-4011, when you're ready to learn more.

Exceptional Work Experience

  • Extensive development of materials because documentation is extensive and the review process is rigorous.

  • Bachelor’s Degree with at least a 2.75 overall GPA.

  • Either a major is the content area for certification or passing the Praxis II in that area.

  • 3-5 recommendations from employers directly associated with your years of exceptional work experience.

  • An offer of employment in a school district

College Faculty for Teaching Grades 8-12

  • Must have a master’s degree in the academic subject for which certification is sought.

  • 5 years of full time teaching experience or its equivalent at an accredited institution of higher education in the academic subject for which certification is sought and:

  • Have an offer of employment from a school district.

Adjunct Instructor for Teaching Grades P-12

  • An offer of employment.

  • Elementary certification must have a bachelor’s degree with a 2.75 GPA

  • Middle or secondary certification must have an overall GPA of 2.75 and a 2.75 in the major/minor or area of concentration in the subject to be taught.

  • For CTE must have a HS diploma and at least 4 years of appropriate occupational experience.

  • This route does not lead to full certification. This is part time employment or on a contractual basis, not eligible for continuing service status or retirement provisions.

Veterans of the Armed Forces

  • Discharged or released from active duty under honorable conditions after six years of active duty immediately before the discharge or release.

  • Have a bachelor’s degree in the subject matter or related area for which certification is sought.

  • Have a 2.75 GPA or hold an advanced degree and have passing scores on EPSB-approved subject matter assessments.

  • Offer of employment in a school district.

Option 6 or University-Based Alternative Route for Teaching Grades P-12

  • Enroll in an approved Option 6 program. Must meet all admission, testing and GPA requirements. Receive an acceptance letter from the institution verifying enrollment and hiring eligibility

  • Receive a job offer from a school district.

  • Complete and submit paperwork for Temporary Provisional teaching certificate.

  • Complete the program in 3 years.

Teach for America (TFA) (Must be in a low income area in Kentucky)

  • Bachelor’s degree

  • Offer of employment

  • Meet all participation criteria for TFA program

  • Successfully completes all training requirements of the TFA program

  • Pass all content assessments required by EPSB in the areas of certification being sought.

Proficiency Evaluation (New Program)

  • Bachelor’s Degree

  • Offer of employment

  • Proficiency evaluations means the process by which an EPP may evaluate an educator to recognize competency and proficiency meeting the curriculum requirements equivalent to those of the EPP approved program for which an educator is seeking certification.

Local District Training Program for Teaching grades P-12 (Option 2)

  • Currently under revision

Institute Alternative Route (Option 7/Initial Certification Only)

  • Bachelor's degree in the area in which certification is sought or graduate degree in a field related to the area

  • 2.75 GPA on the last thirty (30) hours of credit completed, including undergraduate and graduate coursework from a nationally or regionally accredited postsecondary institution

  • Passing score on the GRE or CASE as designated by the Education Professional Standards Board.

  • Passing score on the academic content assessment in the area in which certification is being sought as designated by the Education Professional Standards Board.

Prior to receiving the one-year provisional certificate or during the first year of the certificate, the teacher shall complete the following:

  • Elementary - successfully complete the equivalent of a 240- hour institute, based on six-hour days for eight weeks.

  • Middle and secondary - successfully complete the equivalent of a 180-hour institute, based on six-hour days for six weeks. 

Expedited Alternative Teaching Pathway (Option 9)

Option 9 is a new alternative route to certification created by the legislature that allows a person to complete a bachelor’s degree and initial teacher certification in a three-year period while working in a non-teaching position in a school district. This is the only alternative route that does not require a bachelor’s degree for admission. See complete FAQ